Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Desktop magazine cover


Back in March I posted some heroes and villains which I drew and helped design for Desktop magazine's CREATE awards. For the upcoming September issue I was invited back to illustrate the superheroes again, this time for their awards flip cover. Thanks to the trusting people over at Desktop I was given a lot of freedom for the cover, so I chose to draw my favourite of the heroes, the tattooed punk chick 'Berangèr' (or as I like to call her, 'Inkstain'). In the tattooey swirl on the right I incorporated symbols which represented all of the other characters, some are obvious and some are pretty obscure (fourteen in all, see if you can identify them).

This was inked once again with my Pentel brush pen and coloured in Photoshop. For the spattery airbrushed colouring I used one of my custom brushes, (#3 in Set 6, which I just discovered was coincidentally titled 'Ink Stain 3'. Ha!). If you haven't checked them out already, you can download my free brushes here.

Also check out here, for the rough, colour comp and pencil stages.

Below is how the issue looks with title and blurb. Currently for sale in Australia all of September.

15 Comments:

Blogger Gee Hale said...

Awesome work, Chris! Always loved your work! :D

8:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is great! looking forward seeing it on the newstands

9:51 PM  
Blogger Damion009 said...

fuck man! this is to awesome looking! hey man could you tell me what you think of my new post? I tried something new.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Christy Latz said...

OMG -- this is beyond amazing! Excellent work! :)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Attractive Art Community (Big Sam) said...

Sir I don't think I can get enough of Wahl art in my life! Always worth the wait! Can't wait for what you do next!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great work!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Anthony Pascoe said...

Awesome Chris !

1:02 PM  
Blogger Joey Lee said...

LOVE it. You are rediculously talented.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Trent Correy said...

Amazing work, great use of colours!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Wow, she's SO cool! Great work, Chris!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks everyone for your generous comments. Appreciated as always.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Craig Phillips said...

Great cover!! I like what you did with all those superhero characters too!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks man!

12:08 AM  
Blogger greg oakes said...

I'M SPEECHLESS *GASP* :) :) :)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks Greg!

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners